Howard G. Williams
255 W. 22nd St., Apt. 2B
New York, NY 10011
Mobile (212) 444-2205
- Knowledgeable documenter of systems, processes, programs, process
assurance, online information, and policies and standards
- Writing manager for PC, web, network, UNIX, and mainframe
systems, as well as training and marketing
- Analysis, requirements specification, and testing for new and
updated systems for more than 15 years
- Project management, quality assurance, and development of online
systems for more than 10 years
- Master’s Degree from University of Michigan with solid experience
in brokerage, finance, information security, and insurance
- Advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Photoshop.
Java, Basic, Lotus Notes, and various document management systems
2005 to present
Technical Writer and Quality Assurance
- Documented existing systems and updates for the planning,
purchase of paper, and production of magazines.
- Tested and approved updates before roll-out, wrote regression
tests for future testing, and assisted help desk and customer service personnel
in evaluating problems and providing solutions.
- Specified enhancements to existing web-based and compiled
systems, and tested upgrades in controlled environments during development and
testing and in production environments after implementation.
- Provided reports for Sarbannes-Oxley auditors to show compliance
with separate development and production environments and processes to ensure
tracking and approval of bugs, fixes, and enhancements.
- Specified requirements and provided documentation for
modification of existing web-based systems for automation of a new division in
the United Kingdom.
May 2005 to August 2005
Technical Writer and Consultant
- Collected and edited business information for an overview of a
highly customized internal content management system (CMS), including IRAs,
brokerage accounts, and insurance.
- Generated system information and procedures for maintaining and
updating content for various departments and functions.
Securities Information Automation Corporation (SIAC)
2004 to February 2005
Technical Writer and Consultant
- Collected and edited information for Java developers building a
J2EE-standard n-tier tool for use as the automated trading platform by
specialists at the New York Stock Exchange.
- Updated and wrote maintenance processes for the on-going run book
that described configuration and required processes for day-to-day operation of
the UNIX and IBM DB2 system.
- Assisted in tracking open issues, dispersing information,
scheduling, and gathering problem resolutions made by developers at all levels.
- Edited requirements and development information for use by
outsourced development group.
ING Bank, Information Risk Management Department
2001 to February 2004
Policy and Standards Writer, Project Manager, and Application Development
- Wrote and
edited information security policies, standards, and procedures based on
documents such British Standard ISO 17799 and HIPAA for international use by
the banking and investment groups.
content and graphic user interface for an online compliance program for 34
information security policies and standards to provide quantifiable tracking
development and managed the roll-out of the on-line compliance program for
- Worked with internal audit department to provide documentation
for initial Sarbannes-Oxley analysis.
- Served as a program manager for on-site and off-site programmers
during the initial development of the online compliance program and the
resulting text and statistical reports.
- Led a two-day, 30-person user conference in Amsterdam to
determine and prioritize the future development of the online tool in
preparation for updating policies and standards.
- Wrote intranet-based training materials for the information
security compliance program.
- Provided analysis and plans to improve compliance with policies
based on results of the online program.
iNautix Technologies (DLJdirect, CSFBdirect)
1998 to July 2001
Technical Writing Manager
- Hired and managed four technical writers who developed internal
documentation and procedures for systems, user documentation, specifications
for projects, training materials, and online help for a top Internet web site
and for award-winning Windows-based software.
- Implemented a project management approach to lead new projects through
specification, development, quality assurance, and implementation. Measured and
reported work and efficiency metrics for the team.
- Wrote systems operations guides, programming notes, Windows- and
web-based help, FAQs for end users, and other hard-copy and online
documentation for internal and external use.
- Worked within the Process Assurance department to create
standards, templates, and databases to support the development of more than 40
financial international web sites. Helped meet CCM Level-1 status.
- Assisted the Process Assurance department in the definition of
environments for development, testing, user acceptance, training and
- Supported the training and development of in-house operations
staff, project managers, and programmers.
Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB)
1998 to October 1998
Technical Writer and Consultant
- Wrote end-user documentation for a major Windows NT rollout,
including information on corporate styles, specially installed Microsoft Word
macros, laptop usage, proprietary applications, and year 2000 compliance.
- Generated documents as technical references, guides for
third-party financial and investment applications, and web pages for use on
Dow Jones Markets (Telerate, now Bridge)
1997 to February 1998
- Wrote technical documentation, marketing materials, and
context-sensitive online help for an intranet financial news delivery system
and a standalone news editing system for Dow Jones journalists.
- Developed and maintained system requirements, specifications,
proposals, demonstration procedures, and training for business analysts and
Java, Internet, and database developers.
Johnson & Higgins (now Marsh & McLennan)
1994 to May 1997
Manager of Technical Writing Department and In-house Help Desk
edited, and budgeted two writers through the creation of technical
documentation, marketing materials, and newsletters.
documentation, training materials, presentations, and newsletter articles for
J&H’s proprietary AS/400 insurance brokerage systems.
and managed three help desk analysts who answered questions about a variety of
proprietary computer applications, insurance, and company procedures.
- Led a “change team” in an on-going quality program and trained
employees at all levels.
1988 to November 1993
Group Leader of Technical Writing Department
two writers to design, schedule, write, and produce technical and marketing
materials for a complete line of industrial computers.
technical manuals, data sheets, technical application notes, hardware and
firmware upgrades, two newsletters, newsletter articles, catalogs, price lists,
and parts lists.
- Wrote major sections, designed, and edited Closing the Loop on
Operator Interface, a 160-page book that described applications for
Washtenaw Community College
1992 to May 1993
Technical Writing Instructor (part time)
- Taught the advanced technical writing course, “Award-winning
FAME Information Systems
1985 to September 1988
Senior Technical Writer
- Wrote and
produced technical instruction guides for statistical, analytical, and database
software available on IBM mainframe and UNIX platforms. (At this time, FAME
Software was a subsidiary of Citicorp.)
- Designed, wrote, and produced marketing materials to contribute
to product salability.
- Society for Technical Communication
- University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI
of Arts, English
- University of Colorado; Boulder, CO
of Arts, cum laude, English
- The College of Insurance; New York, NY
- Washtenaw Community College; Ann Arbor, MI